Thursday, October 4, 2007

Since time permits

I feel my monthly urge to return to the blog.

1. I've found myself saying this a few times over the past year so I'll put it in writing: We could all use context clues more, especially when a friend says something somewhat ambiguous and you are trying to figure out how to interpret it. The "what did that mean?!" can usually be answered by thinking, "I know them and I know their character, thus they probably meant it that way". That will usually hone down the interpretation to the correct, harmless one (unless it is your friend, Ben Arnold, that you're trying to decipher).

2. I'm reading this book by Watchman Nee "Sit, Walk, Stand". I bought it because I usually reshelf a book after about 80 pages and this one has 78. It's really quite good, and I'll share one of his particularly good points.

He goes into talking about how as Christians we separate the gifts, attributes, desired qualities of God from God (who dwells in us) Himself. We desire to eventually somehow acquire all of the qualities of Jesus, neglecting the fact that we have Him. His example is in dealing with a person who you don't get along with and always rubs you the wrong way.
The incorrect approach: "Lord, give me love for this person." You then, with committed effort and genuine intent, go to him to show love, he says something that angers you and you fail instantly.
The correct approach: "Lord, I can't love this guy, but your living Spirit is in me. God, rise up in me and love this person, as I can't by own efforts." You then go up to him and ...
There's no mean people in Waco, but once I move, I'll update this blog and let you know if it works.
His cliche statement is that we try too much and trust too little. We have the fullness of Christ to live out, not just a new standard to try to achieve. It's not "Alright, new game plan. Scrap the whole be nice to more people than you're mean to, and now let's attain perfection. Work, work, work." It's "Thank God. He has done it all. Live through me and carry out your perfection. I, myself, give up." It sounds more philosophical than it really it. If thought about and enacted, it's pretty practical.

3. I like situations where something bad almost happens, and then once it doesn't, you're better of than when you started. Example: I bought seven A&M tickets for a game a few weeks ago. At the point of getting them in them mail, they were just seven tickets. But after losing them for a day, going through all the appropriate stages of loss and grieving, then finding them, I became a person who had just won the last seven golden tickets to Willie Wonkas chocolate factory (not the chocolate factory against Miami, fortunately). I'm going to raise the stakes and go misplace Jorge.

4. I'm flattered and humbled to be in the running for Tyler's best friend position. To find out more, visit tyhardy.blogspot.com.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

When a friend (I won't mention his name) sends me an email telling me to visit his blogg, to find out that he's written an insert about me, only not using my name, should I read into that?

Meredith and Eddie said...

Yeah, for no more buffer bunny! Though I am still interested in where I can purchase buffer bunny. And congrats on the BFF position.

KO said...

At first I thought you were copying my blog ending promo for Tyler's blog, until I noticed our blogs were both posted at 7:14. Hmm..great minds think alike at the same time.

Jorge Sanchez said...

Dude I can not be lost. I am unloosable.

KO said...

So what was the "removed" comment? And does CC know the truth?

Carson said...

"removed" comment?
CC?
I'm lost on both points.

Carson said...

Ahh. I don't know what the removed comment was.

The Crenshaws said...

Carson,

I thought it a litle strange that Tyler was reading Emily Dickinson, but, hey, sometimes married men will do odd, crazy things to please the wife. Maybe Ashlee made him read it? Maybe he actually likes it? Maybe I fell for the most obvious joke of the year?!

Anonymous said...

Took me time to read the whole article, the article is great but the comments bring more brainstorm ideas, thanks.

- Johnson