Sunday, March 9, 2008

Laughter: not always the best medicine

I find it funny that my most unusual medical story involves me as the patient. My second most unusual story now involves my dad.

The situation revolves around the family/friend favorite game, 'Loaded Questions'. In the game, one person asks an open-ended question, the other players answer it, the answers are shuffled and read, and the asker guesses who said what. My goal is to get a laugh.

Saturday night, we had nine family members over for dinner and ended up playing the game. On the final turn of the night, a question was asked and I answered with a questionably funny, irrefutably stupid answer. My aunt couldn't understand it, so she passed it to my dad. He started to read it but then began laughing. I wasn't paying incredibly close attention but he seemed to continue laughing and got up from his chair, walking over to the island in the kitchen. At that point he slowly knelt down and then collapsed onto the tile. Fortunately, his head broke the fall. After about three seconds of no movement, I rushed over to... and about the time when we got him onto his back, he came to. In talking about it later (this dominated the rest of the night's discussion) he recalled that at first he couldn't figure out why he had taken a nap in the kitchen with all this company over. He then realized he had been laughing so hard, he couldn't catch his breath, and passed out.

Other than the five to ten seconds of terror and a few too many replayings of the situation in my head, a pretty humorous event. I'll let further elaboration occur via pictures:


The injury


The group


The phone call to the parents



The documentation



The culprit



The happy family

3 comments:

Jacob said...

Wow, you have officially become so funny, that you hurt. You are so funny, you nearly killed, literally. Your dad nearly laughed his head off. That's all i got. Well done Dr. Higgs.

jess said...

Wow, Carson...that is unbelievable!!! (Also hilarious & scary). I'm pretty sure this story tops the larvae-in-your-leg experience, which I always considered the coolest/craziest blog entry ever written :)

The Crenshaws said...

Time for an update... I tagged you. Tell me when you do it.